What To Do In A Car Accident
This information is provided as a service of the Minnesota car accident lawyers of TSR Injury Law, serving Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington, and the state of Minnesota.
Steps to Follow after a Minnesota Car Accident
- Stop and pull off to the side of the road.
- Turn off your engine to reduce the chance of fire.
- Stay in your car and keep your seat belt buckled.
- Call 911. Always ask for police to come to the scene.
- Exchange information. Be sure to get:
- the driver’s full name
- the driver’s address
- telephone numbers
- the driver’s license number of the driver
- insurance company name, agent name, address, phone number
- Write down the make, model, license plate number of any involved vehicles (or take pictures of the back end of all vehicles)
- Get name, address, and phone number from each eye witness
- Get name and badge number from attending police officer
- See a doctor for a complete medical exam right after the car accident even if you are not obviously injured, because it is not unusual for symptoms to show up hours or days later (if you are experiencing symptoms at the scene, report them to the police or ambulance personnel)
- Call your car insurance agent to report the accident, providing them with the information collected at the scene
- Insurance companies may request a written or tape-recorded statement from persons involved in the accident — you are not required to give a statement — it is advisable to discuss the matter with a lawyer first
- Contact an experienced Minnesota car accident lawyer
If you have been in a Minnesota car accident, contact one of our skilled, experienced lawyers at TSR Injury Law. Call 612-362-0000, or submit our free consultation form and one of our Minnesota lawyers will call you within 24 hours.